Saturday, April 26, 2008

Who Am I? You Sure You Wanna Know?


As Spiderman: The Movie begins, we hear these now famous words from actor Tobey Maguire, who portrays Peter Parker aka The Amazing Spiderman. Mr. Parker goes on to tell us that the story of his life is not a happy little tale and that if someone told us otherwise, somebody lied.

There are many times that the skeptic claims that he really wants to know the truth. He claims that he wants to know if there is a God, but says the evidence is simply unsatisfactory. Some will even say there is no evidence! I can't help but wonder if God sometimes is thinking, in moments such as these: "Who am I? You sure you wanna know?"

The motive of the questioner must be considered by the apologist. I was once reading a popular atheist discussion board and the topic of discourse was the resurrection of Jesus Christ. As I read the comments, I was frankly astonished by the falsehoods and ignorance that being put forth. Finally, as I couldn't take it anymore, I decided to get involved in the exchange. Upon my entry, the main topic for discussion was whether or not Jesus Christ even existed! For those versed in New Testament Scholarship, you realize the absurdity of such a notion. Naively thinking that the members of the discussion board actually wanted answers, I provided them with the following link from the website of Dr. Gary Habermas:

This link reports the results of a massive study conducted by Dr. Habermas, reporting what scholars-skeptical and non-skeptical-believe about the historicity of the New Testament and the life of Jesus Christ. Imagine my surprise, after providing the post and a short explanation of it's contents, when one member replied to me simply saying:

"Could you please explain the article to us? You can't actually expect us to go and read the entire article."

I quickly learned that what was being sought by these particular individuals was not scholarly evidence, but an intellectual sparing session. Please do not misunderstand me. There is a time and place for debate, however, when one claims to want evidence, but then will not take the time to consider it when provided, it's obvious that they are not seriously seeking answers.

The Bible says, "And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart" (Jer. 29:13, KJV). Or, in other words, "Who am I? You sure you wanna know?"

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad A. Gross


2 comments:

Brian said...

I concur. I have found the same to be true.

Supposed "former" Christians and skeptics will troll around until they find someone they think they can argue with. It's not an honest truth quest at all, many times. It ends up being a desire to debate publicly and to mock. In particular exchanges in public, I realized that was what was happening and emailed my responses to the "skeptic" instead of posting them. Of course, they were not interested in continuing the discussion.

I think this is what Francis Schaffer referred to . . . giving "honest answers to honest questions."

Chad A. Gross said...

Brian,

"Honest answers to honest questions!" Man, does that ever nail it!

Thank you and God Bless,

Chad