Sunday, August 31, 2008

Religulous: The Movie


Who is that above on the piece of toast? It's Bible scholar Bill Maher! Actually, the toast might be able to answer as many questions about the Bible as Mr. Maher.

For those who don't know, Bill Maher is a comedian who had his own show on Comedy Central, and later on ABC, entitled Politically Incorrect. Now, Maher, in his October 3rd release, Religulous, takes aim at the religions of the world, admittedly one of his favorite targets:

"It has been my pleasure over the last decade and a half to make organized religion one of my favorite targets. I often explained to people, “I don’t need to make fun of religion, it makes fun of itself.” And, then I go ahead and make fun of it too, just for laughs."

From reading Maher's comments about the film, it's clear that he believes that all those who believe in God or practice a religion are "stupid and/or crazy." Fair enough, however, surely before one would make such blanket judgments about the majority of the world's population, he or she would be sure to thoroughly examine the topic and give it an honest hearing, yes?

I'm sure that we can expect and look forward to watching Mr. Maher interview Bible scholars such as N.T. Wright, Craig Evans, or Dan Wallace. Or perhaps he will sit down with William Lane Craig or J.P. Moreland? I doubt it.

For more on this upcoming "masterpiece," please see J.P. Holding's critique here:
http://www.tektonics.org/religuguff.html

More on the Oscar worthy film, "The Man and His Toast" forthcoming!

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad A. Gross

2 comments:

Brian said...

Looks like you beat me to the post! I promise I didn't copy your post idea. It just seemed proper to feature Tektonics' article.

Chad said...

Brian,

No worries! Love your blog; one of my favorite spots on the net.

I agree that posting J.P.'s article on the topic was more than appropriate. I hope some folks check it out!

Hope all is well with you and yours!

God Bless