Featured Resource: TrueU with Dr. Stephen Meyer


"I'm going to do you the dignity of making an argument"

- Dr. Stephen Meyer

It is with this statement, early on in the first lesson of TrueU's Does God Exist? video series, that Dr. Stephen Meyer, author of the best-selling book Signature in the Cell, begins systematically making a scientific and philosophical case for the existence of God.

TrueU, from the creators of Focus on the Family's The Truth Project, is a DVD-based apologetics curriculum aimed at students 15-22 "who are high school students preparing to go to college and undergraduate students who have already begun to experience an onslaught of challenges both in and out of the classroom."

Indeed; statistics indicate that nearly 90% of students who enter college lose their faith before leaving. Something is very wrong.

In TrueU's: Does God Exist? Dr. Meyer plays a "philosophical survival game" pitting four worldviews against one another in the quest to decide which one gives the best answers. Dr. Meyer helps you examine the evidence and provides the tools needed to defend your faith and make it your own.

Here are some video previews of the series:
I have had the pleasure of viewing the first 4 lessons in the Does God Exist? series (Part 1) and I have been extremely impressed with the content of the lectures, the excellent illustrations, and Meyer's ability to make scientific and philosophical concepts understandable even to the laymen.

As I have written about before, we in the body of Christ have for to long sat on the sidelines and watched what we believe and hold so dear be torn apart by false teachings and vain philosophies. It is time for us to stand-up and engage our cultural intellectually! The Bible commands it, reason demands it, and are children deserve to be equipped to "make a defense"(1 Peter 3:15) to those who question them.

TrueU is an outstanding apologetics curriculum that I believe followers of Christ of all ages will benefit from. I strongly encourage you and your church to check it out and implement this outstanding program.

To learn more about TrueU and how you can order your own set of DVDs, checkout their website here.

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for drawing attention to this, I had not seen it yet!
Chad said…
WK,

It is great to hear from you! You are welcome; I really hope churches start using this. I have been extremely impressed with Meyer thus far and I'm anxious to hear him teach about the reliability of the Bible.

Hope all is well with you!

Godspeed
Lavinia4truth said…
My husband and I have been viewing the first installment of True-U (Does God Exist?) as well. We both believe that it is an
excellent program, and one that is very timely for our current culture. I believe that True-U would benefit people of all ages,
not only the 15-22 year old population. However, it would likely be most beneficial to this age group given the onslaught of
criticism that they will likely receive in college if they are followers of Christ.

This curriculum would have
benefitted us when we were in college. I know that I was not well equipped to defend my faith when I went away to college.I was
not grounded in God's Word, nor did I have much of His Word hidden in my heart (Psalm 119:11). I was not prepared to give a defense for the hope that was in me (1 Peter 3:15) at that time. Being grounded in God's word and participating in studies like
the Truth Project and True-U certainly would have benefitted me during those years.

I was quite deceived by the lies of the enemy during my college years and subsequent years that followed. Thanks be to God that in His grace, He drew me back unto Himself and revealed His Truth to me later in my life.

As a result of my "floundering" when I left home and went away to college, I have a burden for today's youth- in fact, I am passionate about it! As a student who was studying Marine Biology, I was certainly bombarded with lots of vain philosophies. However, it certainly seems that what teens and young adults are facing today in the academic setting is much greater pressure from professors and peers to steer toward falsehoods than I ever experienced when I was in college.

I am thankful that there are so many great resources out there to equip students. I would encourage not only churches to become active in programs like True-U, but also individual parents to become pro-active in equipping their children for what lies ahead. The parents have the greatest opportunity to equip their children to be strong in the Lord, and it seems to me that it is our duty to do so (Deuteronomy 6, Deuteronomy 11:18-22,Deuteronomy 4:9-10, Psalm 78:1-8, Ephesians 6:4).

Lavinia
Norb said…
I need the source for the quote from Einstein that you use in your material. Is this just something that ID people made up or did Einstein really say "I now see the need for a beginning" after looking through Hubble's telescope. I have used you as a reference and they are calling you and me a quack because no one can find that quote anywhere outside of ID resources. So is this something made up to support the argument, or did Einstein really say it?

Regards,
Bob
Chad said…
Norb,

Hello; a few things:

1. The reference- Douglas, A. Vihert, "Forty Minutes With Einstein," in Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, 50. (1956), p.100. --

2. Regardless if Einstein said this or not, the evidence for the expanding universe must be dealt with. I would ask your "friends" why Einstein "fudged" his math when he realized that Hubble's conclusions demanded a beginning.

3. Finally, I did not quote Einstein so I can only assume Dr. Meyer did. I would recommend logging onto the trueu.org discussion boards if you need more specific information.

Godspeed
Norb said…
Thank you for your response Chad. I've done a lot of research on this and cannot find the quote. Even though it agrees with other Einstein writings, it's important when I have forum debates to be accurate.

Regards,
Norb