Why Is God Not a Possibility?

As someone interested in apologetics, Chad asked me if I would be able to occasionally write posts for the blog. As you can see from the words you are now reading, I gladly accepted.

An article posted on 27 September on the Washington Post "On Faith" blog entitled, 'Atheism is cool’ says Archbishop of Canterbury, discussed the growing popularity of atheism due to the failure of the religious to appear rational before a questioning world for holding the beliefs that they do. So, I posted a response to the article to demonstrate that Christianity has a rational voice. I provided a brief version of the Cosmological Argument- meaning that evidence suggests that the universe, all space, time, and matter, had a beginning out of nothing. Therefore, something supernatural and eternal must be in place in order for the universe to exist and that God fits both of these attributes.

As a side note, I also posted the Minimal Facts argument for the resurrection of Jesus and few commented on that and none refuted any of the facts presented. In response to my post, one blogger asked, “Why is God the best explanation for the beginning of the universe?”

Another blogger posted a YouTube video of Lawrence Krauss giving a lecture on Quantum Mechanics and essentially said, “Here is your evidence for how the universe came from nothing.” Quantum Mechanics still admits a beginning and in a debate Dr. Krauss had with Dr. William Lane Craig in March Dr. Krauss kept asking the question, “Why does a beginning to the universe point to God?” In my limited experience discussing the origins of the universe with atheists, it seems that similar versions of this question pop up. The question I pose in response is this: Is God not a possibility? Dr. Craig, myself and other proponents of Christianity consider possibilities such as Quantum Mechanics. Why does it seem that atheists do not even want to consider God a possible cause of the beginning of the universe even after being presented with evidence that He is one? I have my thoughts. What do you the readers think?

Chase Deener


Comments