Article: Why Pastors Ought to Be Apologists by J. Warner Wallace

I few months ago I had the pleasure of attending an apologetics conference at Mt. Airy Bible Church.  One of the presenters was apologist, author and cold-case homicide detective J. Warner Wallace.  After Wallace spoke on why we can trust the Gospels, he allowed the audience to ask questions.  During this Q and A time an older gentlemen, well into his seventies and sitting up front, asked a question that I will not soon forget.  It went something like this:

"I have been going to church all my life.  I've attended Catholic churches and Protestant churches and I have never heard any of the evidence you've just presented come over the pulpit.  Why do you think that is?"

Let me be clear.  During that conference, I heard excellent talks given by people like Alan Shlemon, Brett Kunkle and J. Warner Wallace.  However, this was perhaps the moment that stuck in my memory the most.  The reason, I suppose, is because I share this gentleman's concern.  I frankly don't see how a pastor in our culture today cannot be an apologist.  Further, I believe those who resist teaching their congregations what they believe and why they believe it are in error. [1] 

In this featured article, J. Warner Wallace explains why pastors should be apologists.  He also offers a list of pastors who understand the need for apologetics in the pulpit.

You can checkout the article here.

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad

Footnote:

1. While I believe pastors should strive to equip themselves to teach apologetics, they should at the very least invite relevant speakers to their churches to address apologetic topics or they could allow someone in their congregation who is versed in apologetics to share. 

Comments