Apologetics Catechism Questions

As part of our family worship time at home, my wife and I catechize our kids.  If you are looking for a good catechism to start with, I would recommend this one.

As a Dad who is raising future Christian Case Makers, I long for my kids to understand what they believe and why they believe it.  Catechism is a great place to begin preparing your kids to be able to give an answer for the hope they have, but the catechisms I have seen, including the one I recommend above, do not include explicit apologetics arguments for the existence of God.

A few weeks ago I was reading an article by Stand to Reason's Greg Koukl entitled Making Apologetics Understandable and in the beginning of the piece Koukl briefly summarizes three of the main arguments for God's existence.  I realized these argument summaries would make great catechism questions for my girls!  

Please feel free to let me know what you think and if you like them, please feel free to use them with your own children.

1. What is the Cosmological Argument?

Answer: The argument for God based on the existence of the Cosmos.

2. What is the Teleological Argument?

Answer: The argument for God based on the design of the Cosmos.

3. What is the Moral Argument?

Answer: If there is no God, there is no anchor for objective morality.

4. What is the sum of the Cosmological Argument?

Answer: The Big Bang needs a Banger.

5. What is the sum of the Teleological Argument?

Answer: Every design has a designer.

6. What is the sum of the Moral Argument?

Answer: The moral law requires a Moral Law Giver.

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad

Comments

Ray said…
Looks good to me, however, I would rearrange to say: 1. What is the Cosmological argument? 2. What is the sum of the Cosmological argument? I think grouping them together would help kids understand them better.
Unknown said…
Love this idea! I've considered doing something similar. I shared your post in the apologetics for parents Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ApologeticsforParents/)...perhaps someone will want to run with it. :) Great stuff!
Chad said…
Thank you for the feedback Ray! Great point!

Godspeed
Chad said…
Hello Natasha,

Thank you for the encouragement and for all your wonderful work! Also, thank you for sharing the post on your FB page! Maybe I'll get one of those someday! :-)

Godspeed