Some of the points Taunton makes are as follows:
- Believers need to know their Bibles so that they can better communicate what it says to unbelievers
- There are certain principles to follow when understanding OT violence (God ordained vs. reported and context is essential)
- Judges 11 and the life of Jephthah is broken down.
- The theme of Judges is that people did what was right in their own eyes.
- One of the lessons that one can take away from Judges is how much God can still accomplish through a godless people.
- God condemns human sacrifice.
- We are to be in the world, but not of the world.
- God is not responsible for the violence that happens in Judges 11.
- Although some claim that man is more merciful than God, the evidence of the 20th century alone suggests otherwise.
- The greatest act of violence in Scripture was necessary for your salvation.
- While God is a God of mercy, he is also a God of justice.
This is a thoughtful talk that demonstrates how one can deal with violent Old Testament passages in a thoughtful and responsible manner.
Courage and Godspeed,