Don't Forget to Live...

I must admit that much of my life is spent thinking about the past or planning the future. Many times, whether I'm spending time with my wife or playing with my 2 young daughters, my mind is elsewhere, thinking of the "next thing" I need to do.

The Bible clearly warns us against this type of thinking:

"So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" (Psalm 90:12; NKJV; Emphasis mine).

Further, James tells us:

"Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit"; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that" (James 4:13-15; NKJV).

These verses were brought to the forefront of my mind when I stumbled upon the following poem:

First I was dying to finish high school
and start college
And then I was dying to finish
college and start working
And then I was dying to marry
and have children.
And then I was dying for my children
to grow old enough for school
so I could return to work.
And then I was dying to retire.
And now, I am
dying...
And suddenly I realize that I forgot to live.

- Anonymous

Just wanted to encourage each of you- don't forget to live...

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad

Comments

Pastor Adam Barton, Akron, Ohio said…
Very nice article and poem. As a pastor and apologist, this has been an excellent resource.
Respectfully,
Pastor Adam Barton, Akron, Ohio
Chad said…
Hello Pastor Adam,

Thank you so much for the encouraging comment! Further, it's great to hear from a pastor who is also an apologist! Praise the Lord!

Courage and Godspeed