Counterpoints: Pope Francis and Jesus Christ

Pope Francis on May 22, 2013 conducting Mass: The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! "Father, the atheists?"  Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. "But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!'  But do good: we will meet one another there. [1]

Jesus Christ: Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins. [2]

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad

Footnotes:

1. Originally quoted in Pope Francis Claims God Will Save Atheists by Kyle Butt
2. John 8:23; NASB, Emphasis mine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Chad

Having read Francis' letter to Dr Scarafalo, I'm not certain that he wasn't in fact affirming St.Paul in Rom 1-2 . The qualifier, in his letter, appears to be "having a contrite( and presumably repentant-my note) heart"-I could be way off here- but it sounds as if the atheist in question has in fact through general revelation (as St Paul discusses), recognized the existence of a moral law, and a moral law-giver which drives him/her to contrition. I'd love to hear the Vatican's response.
Thanks and God's Blessings...