Book Review: Cold-Case Christianity for Kids by J. Warner Wallace and Susie Wallace

I was excited when I heard cold-case detective J. Warner Wallace and his wife Susie were writing a children’s version of his outstanding book Cold-Case Christianity [Our review is here]. Wallace’s work has been extremely helpful to me. I have successfully implemented his arguments multiple times when sharing my own faith.  Cold-Case Christianity for Kids gives me the unique opportunity to share a wealth of evidence for the reliability of the Gospels, as well as the historicity for the resurrection of Christ, with my eight and nine year old daughters!

When I arrived home from work this week they met me at the door with their copies of Jim and Susie's book in hand. They were excited to begin their investigation!

My eldest daughter, who is a ferocious reader, finished the book in two days. When bed time reading concluded the first day, she did not want to stop! I asked, “Well, what do you think so far?” She replied, “I really like it. It says that I should investigate the case for Jesus myself!” I was thrilled. As Christian parents, my wife and I strive to teach our daughters about Christ and why we believe Christianity is true. However, we want them to own their faith.  CCC4K not only demonstrates that we have good reasons to trust the gospels and to believe the resurrection, but it also teaches children to think critically for themselves in a winsome manner.

We desire our children to evaluate evidence and draw sound conclusions based upon that evidence. We want them to understand that they should believe Christianity because it is evidentially true. This book affords children the opportunity to learn these skills and truths from an actual, seasoned detective!

Jim and Susie Wallace have written an excellent book for children that is easy-to-read with illustrations that support the arguments made in the text. One of the unique features of CCC4K is the interactive website which includes activities, videos and a certificate of merit for completing the “Detective Cadet Academy.” Further, parents are encouraged to read along with their children!

CCC4K is a must have resource for every parent who desires to teach their children not only how to think critically, but also how to “give a defense to anyone who asks…for a reason for the hope that is in you” (1 Peter 3:15).

I am convinced this book will give children a solid foundation to their faith as well as becoming instrumental in raising up future Christian case makers.

I highly recommend this book and so does my daughter Emma!  You can read my interview with her about the book here.

You can get your copy here!

Note: Some atheists may accuse parents like myself of indoctrinating my children; however, I would challenge that notion in two ways. First, nonbelievers seem to have no problem with atheist authors such Richard Dawkins and Stephen Law writing books for children from an atheistic perspective. Second, Wallace's book teaches skills children can apply to any case, Christian or otherwise.  In other words, the thinking skills taught by Jim and Susie in this book are skills any sound thinker should adopt.  Shouldn't even the most staunch skeptic desire their children to learn how to think evidentially?

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad

Related Posts

14 Ways I Teach Apologetics to my 5-Year-Olds by Natasha Crain

Raising Your Kids for Christ

What Lawrence Krauss Could Learn from a Children's Book

Comments