Christian Life and Human Suffering

 In 1963, the German pastor-theologian Helmut Thielicke toured the United States.  During this time, he was asked by a journalist what he considered the most important question at that time for Americans.  Below was his response.

I would rather- if you will permit me to make a judgment- mention an entirely different problem as being the most important question which you are facing.  Not a single person raised it in any discussion I had in this country (it would therefore appear that people are astonishingly unconscious of it); and whenever I raised it myself, it seemed to evoke a kind of disconcerted amazement, I might almost say, a kind of embarrassment, which was probably the reason why nobody ever broached the subject.  I mean the question of how Americans deal with suffering.  Yes, you have heard it aright; I mean the problem of suffering.  If I have not been totally blind on this journey, I believe I have seen that Americans do not have this color on their otherwise so richly furnished palette...

Again and again I have the feeling that suffering is regarded as something which is fundamentally inadmissible, distressing, embarrassing, and not to be endured. Naturally, we are called upon to combat and diminish suffering.  All medical and social action is motivated by the perfectly justified passion for this goal.  But the idea that suffering is a burden which can or even should be fundamentally radically exterminated can only lead to disastrous illusions.  One perhaps does not even have to be a Christian to know that suffering belongs to the very nature of this world and will not pass away until this world passes away.  And beyond this, we Christians know that in a hidden way it is connected with man's reaching for the forbidden fruit, but that God can transform even this burden of a fallen world into a blessing and fill it with meaning.

Helmut  Thielicke- Between Heaven and Earth pp. 185-186

Comments